Professional Licenses and Registrations Earned:
- Attorney, admitted to the New York State Bar, Federal Courts, United States Tax Court.
- Sales licenses - Series 7, 5, 15 and 63.
- Supervisory licenses - Series 8 and 24.
- Compliance Official license - Series 14.
- Investment Advisor Representative - Series 65.
- Chicago Board of Trade, National Futures Association and CFTC.
- New York State Life Insurance.
- Trade Investment Analysis Group 2004 - Present.
Principal - Investment analysis, expert witness services, compliance consulting and mediation services.
- Laidlaw & Co. (UK)/Sands Brothers International/Sands Brothers & Co.)
2004 - Corporate Counsel, Director.
2001 - 2003 Corporate Counsel, Senior Vice President.
2000 - 2001 Director of Branch Operations, Senior Vice President.
- Salomon Smith Barney Inc. (and predecessor companies).
Manager, Compliance, Regulatory & Litigation Analysis Group.
1997 - 2000 - First Vice President & Group Manager.
1993 - 1997 - First Vice President.
1990 - 1993 - Vice President.
1989 - 1990 - Assistant Vice President.
- Feinberg & Herman; Munves Tannenhaus & Storch.
1984 - 1989 Attorney at Law.
Corporate and securities law, commercial litigation.
- American Money Market Securities and affiliates.
1983 - 1984 Regional Manager and Principal for Institutional broker / dealer in mortgage backed securities and short-term debt instruments.
- European - American Bank.
1982 - 1983 Assistant Vice President, Foreign Exchange Consulting Division, dealing in Forex trading services and Forex research services to Fortune 1000 companies. Lecturer at ongoing seminar series targeted to top financial executives.
- Prudential - Bache Securities, Inc. (and predecessor companies)
1974 - 1982 Institutional Sales - Account Executive, futures and securities, institutional sales and high net worth retail.
- Securities Experts Roundtable, member, past president, and past member of board of directors.
- Arbitration panelist for the NASD and FINRA since 1986.
- Arbitration panelist for the National Futures Association, the New York Commodities Exchange and the New York Coffee, Cocoa & Sugar Exchange.
- Testified before the New York State Assembly Ways and Means Committee on suitability issues for municipal investors and institutional investors.
- Advised the New York State Assembly Ways and Means Committee Chairman regarding suitability issues for institutional investors.
- 1994 NASD Arbitration training.
- Advised the FBI regarding securities industry accounting procedures.
- Advised the NY State Attorney General, Bureau of Investor Protection and Securities regarding suitability and mechanics of investing by municipal investors.
- New York State Supreme Court - Adjunct judicial hearing officer for tax matters.
- Testified for United States Attorney in Texas on securities industry accounting.
- 2004 NASD Anti-Money Laundering Training.
- 2004 NASD Arbitrator Training on Expungement issues.
- Consultant to C. L. King & Associates, an NASD / FINRA member firm.
- Consultant to Max International Broker / Dealer, NASD member firm.
- Offered engagements as an expert witness by the NASD and FINRA on suitability and other sales practice issues.
- 1993 - Securities Arbitration / Practising Law Institute - co-authored article, "The View from the Graveyard, the View from the River."
- 2006 - Securities Arbitration / Practising Law Institute - "Is Arbitration Still a Forum of Equity? Should it be?"
- 2007 - Securities Arbitration / Practising Law Institute - "The Application of Equity in Securities Arbitration, The Process is Fair, But is it Equitable? Should Equitable Rules Apply?"
- 2008 - Securities Arbitration / Practising Law Institute - co-authored article, "The Genesis of a Troubled Product: Auction Rate Securities."
Securities Industry Seminars / Continuing Legal Education:
- 2005 panelist at Roth Roundtable CLE course the ABCs of NASD / NYSE Arbitrations.
- 2005 panelist at American Conference Institute Best Practices for Broker - Dealers,Broker Dealer Information Management.
- 2006 panelist at Roth Roundtable CLE course the ABCs of NASD / NYSE Arbitrations.
- 2006 panelist at Practising Law Institute – CLE Securities Arbitration seminar.
- 2007 panelist at Roth Roundtable CLE course – Nuts and Bolts of Securities Arbitrations.
- 2015 guest speaker at Midtown Regulatory Group - on Securities Arbitration.
- 2015 panelist at New York State Bar Association CLE program on Securities Arbitration.
- 2017 moderator at Securities Experts Roundtable Conference.
- 2018 panelist on computing damages in broker recruitment disputes at Securities Experts Roundtable.
- 2005 Advanced Negotiation and Mediator Skills Training.
- FINRA Mediation Panel Member.
Pro Bono Services:
- Fordham University Law School Legal Clinic: Advisor to pro bono program, which furnishes legal assistance to public investors not otherwise able to obtain representation.
- InvestWrite: I serve as a judge for InvestWrite, a SIFMA Foundation program to help high school and younger students learn about securities, markets and the development of writing skills.
- Securities Dispute Triathlon: I served as a judge for this moot court program run by FINRA and the St. John's University School of Law.
- I was the subject of a three-part interview broadcast on the BBC in London examining interest rates, and the interrelationship of the US Dollar to European currencies.
- Bachelor of Science - Finance - St. John's University, New York.
- Master of Business - Accounting & Taxation (incomplete).
- Pace University Graduate School of Business and St. John's University Graduate School of Business.
- Juris Doctor - University of the State of New York - Touro College School of Law.
- Securities Training Corporation, New York.
Expert Witness Experience
- Review and evaluation of more than 2,000 individual claims, complaints and regulatory inquiries.
- Testimony given in approximately 200 matters. Testimony given before the NASD/FINRA,NYSE, AAA, JAMS, state courts and Federal courts.